I use multiple topographic programs. I use Garmin’s BaseCamp because I use a Garmin GPS and because BaseCamp uses a typical Windows/Mac user interface. I use Delorme because, despite the non-standard U.I., it has trails and roads which exist in reality but not in Garmin’s maps. (I also use National Geographic maps on IOS devices, but that’s another story.)
Aside: I just don’t understand why some vendors, such a Delorme, find it necessary to re-invent the U.I. paradigm, and as a casual user, I can’t possibly remember how to use a unique U.I.
Anyhow, sometimes there’s a trail/road I see in Delorme, and I want to follow it on my Garmin GPS, so I need some way to export it and import it. I can’t export a trail, but I can put a route on the trail and export that route as a .GPX file. Then I can import the .GPX as a trace into Garmin, and convert it into a route.
Here’s how to export a route from Delorme:
- Create your Route
- Select the Route tab
- Right-click on the route (trail – on the map), select Manage Route, select Save as GPS Log.
- Export a .GPL file
- Select the Draw tab
- Press the File button
- Press the Import button
- Set “Files of Type” to .gpl. (This must be done BEFORE selecting the file.)
- Set “Import as” to Track
- Select the desired .gpl file and import it.
- Press the Export button
- Set the Save As type to .gpx
- Enter a file name and save the trace as a .gpx file