Microsoft Access sometimes throws a compile error, “Expected user-defined type, not project” if you do something like:
Dim db As Database
It doesn’t recognize “Database” as the built-in type that it is. This is because of an incredible stupidity in Access. When you create a new Access database, it creates a ‘project,’ and it names that project “Database”. So when you attempt to use the built-in type “Database”, it thinks you’re referring to the project.
You have to rename the project to something besides Database (and don’t name it Integer or String!)
- In the left-side frame of the VBA window, you’ll see “Project - Database” near the top.
- Under that, you’ll see “Database (your-file-name-here)”.
- Click on “Database (your-file-name-here)”.
- Farther down the page you’ll see “(Name) Database”.
- Change that to “(Name) Anything-besides-Database”.