Can Evernote 4 (Windows) be run portably?
Update for Evernote 4.1:
- To extract the .msi from the downloaded Evernote_126.96.36.19965.exe, run the .exe, and go look in %TEMP%. You'll see Evernote.msi. Copy this file, and then cancel the setup .exe.
- You can then follow the 4.0.1 instructions, with the exception that you might have to look in "C:\Temp\Evernote4.1\PFiles\Evernote\[ApplicationFolderName]" instead of %TEMP%\Evernote\Pfiles\Evernote\Evernote.
Original Instructions for Evernote 4.0.1:
- Download Evernote 188.8.131.5227
- Open Evernote_184.108.40.20627.exe
- Open an Explorer window in your TEMP folder. (You can click Start/Run, enter %TEMP%, and press enter.
- You'll find Evernote.msi
- Run Universal Extractor (I used v1.6.1.)
- Drag Evernote.msi and drop it on Universal Extractor
- Press OK, and it will ask you which extract to do.
- Choose "MSI Administrative Installer" and press OK.
- It will run, and create a %TEMP%\Evernote folder.
- Update: Some versions of Evernote/Universal Extractor will put your files in the output directory specified in Universal Extractor.
- Browse to %TEMP%\Evernote\Pfiles\Evernote\Evernote
- Open Evernote.exe, and enter your Evernote account and password and press OK.
- It will run Evernote. For me, it crashed on the first synch.
- Exit Evernote.
- Move %TEMP%\Evernote\Pfiles\Evernote\Evernote to wherever you store your portable apps. I moved mine to S:\Evernote\Evernote-4.01-portable
- Create a folder where you'd like to store your Evernote data. I used S:\Evernote\Evernote-4.01-data
- Run Evernote.exe from wherever you copied it to. e.g. S:\Evernote\Evernote-4.01-portable\Evernote.exe
- Choose Tools/Options and set the following:
- Check for updates at Launch = No
- Evernote Local Files = wherever you want. I used S:\Evernote\Evernote-4.01-data
- Exit and restart Evernote
- If you run into trouble, you may have to manually deploy files from %TEMP%\Evernote\Windows
- I copied the contents of %TEMP%\Evernote\Windows\system32 to S:\Evernote\Evernote-4.01-portable
- I also copied the winsxs folder from %TEMP%\Evernote\Windows to S:\Evernote\Evernote-4.01-portable. These files won't get loaded from there, but I wanted to preserve them, in case I later discover that I need them.
Honestly, after playing around with it just a little bit, it works pretty good. I think I’m finally going to move off of Evernote-220.127.116.115-portable to and onto this manually created portable 4.01. It writes a bunch of stuff to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Evernote\Evernote in the registry, but I can live with that. I’m not looking for stealth Evernote. Just a way to run it without violating the "no installs" policy at work.