I tried to get Blackberry Desktop and Blackberry Device Manager to work under VMware. I found the VID and the PID in the host, and set up an autoconnect in the .VMX file, but the BB device mananger was unable to locate the BB. I went through some drastic troubleshooting, suggested by VMware, including deleting all the USB devices (all of them -- not just BB) and rebooting.
Eventually, what got it recognized was when I did two things (one might be enough, but which?):
1. Open the back cover and push a paperclip into the reset hole in the BB.
2. Disable USB autoconnect in the VMX, and manually attach the BB via the "Devices/Research in Motion USB Device" menu.
I suspect that it was number 2 that did it.
UPDATE: No, that didn't work. Resetting the BB does let USB get started, but it won't finish. I also tried:
- usb.generic.skipSetConfig = "TRUE"
- uhci.syncWriteback = "TRUE"
- ehci.syncWriteback = "TRUE"
- and also turning off ehci device in VMX
They didn't help USB synch, but they did get my bluetooth dongle working in the VM!
Then I discovered that there was an old security policy on the BB. (I bought it used.) Google for "adding desktop connectivity wireless bypass services.